Information For Students and Schools
Indigenous Youth Gathering
October 14-15, 2022
St. John’s, NL
What is the WISE NL Indigenous Youth Gathering?
Indigenous Youth Gathering (IYG) is focused on high school students who self-identify as Indigenous and who are interested in learning more about career options in science and engineering. Students will be encouraged to consider a career in these fields through professional development activities, mentoring and knowledge of the opportunities available. Students can bring this information back to their school and promote opportunities in their home communities among their peers.
Who can apply for the WISE NL Indigenous Youth Gathering?
Full-time high school students in grades 10-12 are invited to apply with a team of 4 delegates (3 students + teacher chaperone) from their school. Preference will be given to students who self-identify as Indigenous; however, all students are encouraged to apply.
Where will the WISE NL Indigenous Youth Gathering be held and what is the cost?
The gathering is planning to be done every 2 years, and the location will be change through Newfoundland and Labrador. The last gathering was held in Corner Brook, NL. The Indigenous Youth Gathering 2022 will be held in St. John’s, NL. All costs associated with travel, accommodations, meals and conference fees will be covered. Participants may choose to bring personal spending money.
2022 Organizing Committee
- Chair – Gloria Montano, President, WISE NL
- Vice Chair – Dr. Svetlana Barkanova, Memorial University, Grenfell Campus
- Program Coordinator – Clare Graves, Administrator, WISE NL
- Committee Member – Sheldon Baikie, Newfoundland Power
- Committee Member – Salome Barker, Program Facilitator, First Light
- Committee Member – Allison Kennedy, National Research Council (NRC)
- Committee Member – Hla-U-May Marma, Solace Power
Giving a big thank you to our main sponsor!